Re: [TCML] IGBT 1200V, 54A

In a message dated 4/14/08 10:01:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
quarkster@xxxxxxx writes:

>As far as use in a SISG tank circuit, what IGBT parameter do you  feel is
the limiting factor: voltage,
>or pulse current?

I'd say pulse current is the practical  limit. I'm not sure exactly what
happens past 800A peak, but it seems to  be a good extrapolated guess.

>  Aside from damage from a primary strike, has anyone  reported IBGT failure
during "normal"
>operation?

    The damage I did to my SISG almost certainly wasn't  from a primary
strike. I've had plenty of primary strikes with mine and the  system didn't seem to
care much. But one secondary streamer to the SISG will zap  stuff for sure!
And the hits that blew out my rectifiers were secondary  streamers hitting
stuff *under* the primary.

    I keep meaning to do some really interesting  experiments, along with
some very abusive peak power tests, but weather just  hasn't been cooperating.
Maybe this Fri or Sat I'll blow something up.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)