Re: [TCML] MMC for 4 mot SRGTC

Hi Kris,

Sounds about perfect. Given the 5:1 h/d, K does end up at 0.135 with the 12 turn, so that's good and your 1.25" clearance is good. Depending on the gap size you choose will change turns and K a little. For example, if you used the 0.06uF size, then 5.7 turns is about the tap point and K grows to 0.137, but that's fine. Hopefully, you won't even have to adjust sec height, but if you do, it won't be much.

The 1.18" is based on the voltage standoff for the transformer size and of course pri and sec geometry to prevent coil to coil arcing. If you click on the text output an explanation window will pop up. You will then read this is a minimum distance recommendation. Coupling is not associated with this output. It might help if I change the text for this output to read "Minimum Distance Between Coils". I'll put that on my to do list.

It all looks really good Kris!
Take care,
Bart

Kris Grillo wrote:
The secondary is 6" diameter acrylic with about 1000 turns of 22 gauge for 30" of winding length. I made a 12 turn flat spiral primary from 1/4" copper tube with 1/4" spacing. The clearance is 1.25" for just about .135K IIRC. This is with the first turn of the secondary level with the primary. I have cut disks to raise the secondary if need be.  Javatc gave me a recommended clearance value of 1.18".

bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Kris,

Something else to keep in mind regarding the primary is the coupling. The primary needs to start at a distance of 1.5 inches from the secondary in order to keep the coupling optimal at the forefront of the design. 1.5" will allow a flat primary to be positioned directly horizontal with the bottom secondary turn and you'll have very little need to adjust coupling later. I assume the secondary is wound with #24 or #22. Either would do well.

When I look at what distance to start the primary at, both standoff voltage and coupling are the values I look at. Javatc has a recommended distance for this in it's output, but the distance is based on voltage standoff. However, if I see coupling is too high, then I increase distance until I near the recommended k value for the coil, and in your case, probably in the vicinity of 0.135 k.

I am curious what your sec dimensions are? Also, have you already built the primary for this MOT supply?

Take care,
Bart