Re: [TCML] new spark gap

Thomas -

  Interesting design; do you plan to add a fan?

  I have three areas of possible concern:

  1. The wood base. Even with a only a 6KV supply, you may run into problems with carbon tracking of the wood between the angle brackets. Much better would be to use a plastic baseplate, like a cheap polyethylene cutting board.

  2. The through-bolts used to secure the angle brackets to the base. Unless you were careful to counterbore the underside of the base so the bolt heads are recessed, you may have problems with arcing from the bolt heads to whatever surface you set the base on, especially if you set it on concrete, etc.

  3. The single bolts used to secure the copper tube segments to the angle brackets. No matter how tight you make the bolt, a slight bump on a copper tube will cause it to rotate out of alignment. Adding a second bolt will lock the alignment so it cannot shift.

  Regards,
  Scott Hanson

Thomas Ryckmans <thomas.ryckmans@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to have your thoughts on my new spark gap (image 6)

http://www.pupman.com/current/tryckmans/index.html

for a small coil running on a 6kV 50 mA NST

Many thanks!

Thomas

Or here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Thomas.Ryckmans/TeslaStuff/photo#518513727854380