RE: [TCML] using larger secondary wire for the base

What you suggest is certainly OK - the added turns will be negligible as you say.  But it sounds like the base wire will need to be routed above the primary, where it may be a target of streamer strikes and arcs from the primary.

I prefer to make my base connection below the primary, through a 1/4-20 bolt that also serves as the secondary attachment.  Same with the top load connection.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/secondary.htm.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA