Re: Spark Gap Sustaining Current (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:28:45 -0500
From: Crispy <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spark Gap Sustaining Current (fwd)

Thanks a lot, that helps me greatly.  Perhaps I should elaborate
somewhat on my end goal with all of this.
I'm trying to design and make a type of disruptive discharge Tesla coil
that should be able to create very long sparks with minimal power input.
Classic TCs have a single point of disruptive discharge with the primary
spark gap being the switching device.  The large peak power in this
discharge is what causes the large sparks as compared to a CW coil.
However, with the same basic primary circuit, spark length can be
further increased by increasing the bang rate, such as with an ARSG.  My
understanding of this is that the ionized trails off the topload have
less time to dissipate.  The problem is that to have many disruptive
discharges in rapid succession, the overall power draw increases
dramatically.
When I was considering a way to fix this, I first started thinking about
DC Tesla coils.  The first idea I had (which has apparently been tried
once before) was to use a variation of an ARSG instead of the normal
ARSG with a large charging inductor.  This ARSG would essentially act
like a SPDT relay (instead of the SPST relay that normal spark gaps
operate with) with an oscillator connected to the coil.  It can be
connected in such a way that the charging supply is physically
disconnected from the primary circuit when the primary circuit starts
resonating.  Because of this, such a large charging inductor (with a
value in the Henries) is unnecessary, because the charging circuit will
never be shorted out.  A charging inductor of a much lower value can
still be used to limit charging current and to double the charging
voltage.
After I planned out a coil of this type, I started working on the power
supply for the coil (which is now finished).  It consists of a 12/30
NST, relevant filter circuit, a hv bridge rectifier made out of a total
of 120 1N4007 diodes, and a smoothing capacitor made with 50 450V 22uF
electrolytic capacitors in series.  Relevant equalizing resistors and
protection diodes were added across the components.  To test this setup
for durability and functionality, I connected it up with a simple spark
gap in parallel with the smoothing capacitor.  As expected, the gap
periodically fired as the capacitor charged to the gap's breakdown
voltage.  Interestingly, the capacitors all appear to be completely
unharmed after a number of repetitions.  While watching these
discharges, I came up with an idea - what if this same "smoothing"
capacitor was discharged in impulses into the whole primary circuit?
This way, the ARSG could be run at very high speeds to take the most
advantage of remaining ionized trails in the air, and the bang size
would be relatively constant over the short period of time that the
primary spark gap was firing.  The repetition rate for sparks visible to
the human eye would be slower than the normal ARSG speed or the 60Hz
main line feed in classic TCs, but the spark length should be
substantially longer.  In my setup (about half done so far), the
repetition rate should be very roughly around 5Hz by my calculations.
What I am currently considering is what method I should use for
discharging the "smoothing" capacitor (I put it in quotes because it no
longer really serves that purpose).  I've built a high voltage relay
based on 2 solenoids and tungsten contacts, but I was wondering if a
simple non-quenched static gap would function just as well.  The key
would be to keep the arc sustained between ARSG charging cycles -
otherwise the entire purpose is lost, and that is what my original
question was about.
I'm working on implementing this design right now, but it's going a bit
slowly since this is my first year at college and couldn't bring many of
my materials and testing systems with me.  Also, an aggravating aspect
is that the rules are so strict here that I can't even use a hacksaw
without jumping through a number of hoops.  I will of course let
everyone know how it goes.
Are there any thoughts on this design?

Christopher Breneman