Re: Aluminium Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:35:47 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Aluminium Wire  (fwd)

In the bottom on the DC end of things a resistor could be used to
simulate. But not so easy on the AC side. I did a simulation last night
as a comparison with Javatc. In both RDC and RAC equations, the
resistivity of copper is defined. I simply changed the resistivity so
that the system properly looked at aluminum. In both cases each
resistance went up 1.6 times.

How this effects the coil is in losses in the secondary and also affects
ring up. Oh, it will work just fine. No ones denying that, but losses
will increase. It's similar to winding say a 1600 turn coil compared to
a 1000 turn coil. Both work just fine, but there is point where the
losses start to become noticeable. The difference might only be 1 to 5
inches of spark length, but it is still a loss. If the cost savings
outweigh those minor inches of spark, it might be well worth it to wind
aluminum secondarys. I'm not saying that we should or should not use
aluminum but simply stating a fact of physics that losses increase with
higher values of resistivity and inturn RF losses are further aggravated.

The 220k spark load is not related here.

Take care,
Bart