Subject: RE: The Poynting vector, wire length and inductance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:12:43 -0400
From: Jared Dwarshuis <jdwarshuis@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Pupman <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

I must admit to having trouble with your math.  I knew integral calculus 30+
years ago, but it's a struggle now.  I do recognize your closing equation:
> or simply:  w = ½ L (i)sqrd      (as expected!)

as the standard equation for the energy contained in an energized inductor,
except that the dimensions of the result are energy (Joules), not power (
Watts).  Is that what the "w" represents?

Is there a new idea or relationship that you are trying to highlight here?
 I didn't follow your closing comment about the actual energy actually being
2X the ½ L (i)sqrd  value.  I'm quite sure it's just 1X, as COE requires
equating that with bang energy ½ C (v)sqrd in a tank circuit.

Gary Lau
MA, USA
... Drinking and deriving don't mix!

(w) is in joules.

Q.    Is there a new idea or relationship?

We can now see why wire length is a squared function in inductance.

Q.  I'm quite sure it's just 1X

The derivation only considers the energy of the magnetic field outside the
wire.

Jared Dwarshuis