Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:02:14 +0100
From: Tom Trevethan <t.trevethan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

The DC resistance of iron/steel is not to high, but because it is
ferromagnetic
it experiences magnetic hysteresis with AC
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_hysteresis). At RF frequencies
and tesla
coil currents, steel will dissipate a lot of energy.

 From my limited experience, a little bit if steel is OK in the primary
circuit,
but not the primary coil. Maybe this is because of the higher magnetic fields.
My steel primary would nearly be hot enough to burn me after a few seconds of
operation. (you could check this - obviously remembering to discharge your cap
:)

As for the tap - I just continued to use a alligator clip without problems.
Although something you could make out of copper would be better.

Cheers,

Tom

--
Dr Thomas Trevethan