Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:52:21 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

Hi Marko,

The first thing that immediately sticks out to me is that your
primary capacitor is WAY too small! That much is obvious
from viewing the picture of your setup. 7 pFd is a very small
capacitance and higher values than this are likely experienced
accidently from  the surface area of conductive objects. There's
probably just about that much capacitance in the connective
wiring of your circuit. If you apply the math, E = .5 x C x V*2,
and assume the pk voltage of a 12 kV sine wave at 16.9 kV
(12 kV x 1.41), you will see that you would only be firing about
.001 Joules per bang. However, your JavaTC plots a .007 uFd,
which is in fact 700 pFd, not 7 pFd, and 700 pFd would trans-
late to .1 Joules and this would definitely get you closer to making
sparks although it would still be smaller than resonant to the mains
60 Hz frequency. With a staitc gap, .02 uFd (2000 pFd) would be
the target capacitance area that you should be looking at to make
your capacitor larger than resonant (LTR) with your transformer
and this would further increase your "bang" energy to about .3 J.
As long as the transformer is big enough to completely charge the
capacitor in between each bang, a bigger capacitor means a bigger
spark.You should consider the CD 942 series MMC capacitor route,
as they have proven theirselves to be quite durable in Tesla coil service
and tend to end up much less bulky and more reliable than their equi-
valent "homemade" capacitor couterparts. A lot less work, too.

Once you've addressed the capacitor issue, you will almost certainly
see an improvement in your coil's performance but you will probably
be able to get even more performance by improving your spark gap
design. I'll leave it at that for now though as your capacitor issue is
the first thing that you must address to get your coil to sparking ;^)

David Rieben