RE: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:30:03 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

I think you meant to say that your cap should be about 7nF (not pF).  I
can't tell how it is constructed, but it doesn't look nearly large
enough to be 7nF.  JavaTC  suggests an optimum value of 20nF for best
results, though you can certainly expect some reasonable sparks at 7nF.

Once you get your cap construction right, I'd suggest going for a larger
topload (a toroid is better than a sphere).  Also I strongly recommend a
better spark gap.  Two nails or screws arcing on a small surface with no
airflow is about as bad as it gets.  You really want to spread the
arcing surface out so no point gets too hot - parallel copper pipes.
And any forced airflow through the gap helps (you don't need heroic
measures; a small, focused fan is OK).  Both of these improvements
should bring considerable performance gains, after the tuning is
straightened out.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA