Motor Speed Control (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 01:29:55 -0500
From: Crispy <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Motor Speed Control

Hello,

I'm working on my ARSG, and I'm wondering what kinds of things will work
as speed control for a motor.  I decided that I'm going to go with an
angle grinder motor, if that makes any difference.  A variable
transformer would be best, but they all seem to be expensive.  The
cheapest 5amp variac I can find is on ebay for $50.  I've heard mixed
opinions about using lamp dimmers as speed controls, and I'm wondering
if there's any kind of consensus here about that.  Would it be better to
use something like http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/x1200WControl.html
instead of a lamp dimmer?  Or do I really need a variac?  If so, does
anyone know of a cheap source for variacs?

Thanks,
Chris