Re: TESLA'S CONTRIBUTIONS TO RADIO/WIRELESS? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:46:26 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TESLA'S CONTRIBUTIONS TO RADIO/WIRELESS? (fwd)

Some of the letters written casually between the inventors of the time
period give some of the most insight into these issues.  So much has been
written about "bitter rivalries", but the same rivals actually had a great
respect for each other behind closed doors, and sometimes were quite frank
about some of the real developments and how they came about.

To unravel this type of history takes a lifetime.   To find some of these
personal letters is difficult, and publishing the information contained
within them is also difficult.  Sometimes they are in the hands of private
collectors who are quite content not to share such interesting history with
the rest of us.  I can see what I can do as far as puitting some of these
gems on the site.  They are a fascinating read in general, esp. the Thomson
papers, and while his high frequency work was much cruder than Tesla's it is
also much more accessible to build for people like us that want to
experiment ...

Jeff Behary"

Jeff:

`You're in a unique position to compile information of this sort and I hope you will share it with as as you have time and energy.  It's interesting to note in Seifer that, despite the widely published stories of bad blood between Edison and Tesla, Edison actually had a lot of respect for him and spoke favorably on occasion and I think you're the one who posted the note Edison wrote to someone deferring to Tesla on the subject of X-Rays.  It's best to hear of things in the real words of the participants rather than in such was as "I've heard that Tesla .................".

Ed