RE: Picture from the Cambridge Teslathon (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:10:53 -0000
From: Derek <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Picture from the Cambridge Teslathon (fwd)

David,
	I agree that the term is more usually associated with a pyramid
shaped HV transmission line towers in the UK too, although I have commonly
(and probably wrongly) heard pylon being applied to an electricity pole.

I have never heard the term pylon being used to describe a telephone pole,
so I suspect that its use is colloquial/generic to electricity supports.

Maybe the correct term should be pilon for a pole type electrical support
after the poles used in deep foundations? :-)

Cheers
	Derek