Re: mysterious coil failure (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:01:32 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mysterious coil failure (fwd)

Hi Scott,

Yes, the glowing spot is either a shorted turn or carbon track. It may
be a shorted turn and easy to fix if right on the bottom, and "if" it is
like the very bottom turn, it's probably too much power for too long a
period. I've had this happen on my 4" coil even with low coupling. If
enough power is provided, it can cause extensive heating a greatest
heating on the bottom of the secondary (highest current). If you were to
continue running it, a nice little fire will begin. If it's a shorted
turn, you'll have a nice black carbon ring around the entire turn. Real
easy to fix obviously.

Take care,
Bart