Re: Overvolting an NST? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:29:24 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Overvolting an NST? (fwd)

I've run NST's with variacs over their input rating every time. What
kills an NST is overvolting the NST's secondary windings. Keep the cap
proper LTR or you'll kill it. 125% isn't that high if 1.6 or larger LTR.
It's when you don't design for the higher voltage that you run into
problems. For Ben's situation, if he designs for 1.6 x Cres for his tank
cap, he will be ok at the 300 Vac input. If he short-changes that value
(1.5, 1.4, 1.3, x Cres), then it gets risky. If the cap is large enough,
he shouldn't have a problem, similar to those of us in the US who run a
120V NST's at 140 Vac via a variac (and most of us have been
successful). The cap size is important with an NST, but less important
for more robust transformers like PT's and PIG's. Running LTR in the
first place was all about keeping NST's healthy and is what allowed a
slight higher voltage on the input side. An extra 60 volts on the input
is only 3750 Vac more on the secondary. The windings can take it as long
as it doesn't resonate. I know NST's are "cheaply" built, but they do
have some margin (not a lot, but some).

Take care,
Bart