Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:19:41 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]
<snip>

The topload and secondary self-capacitance form one "plate" of a
capacitor that "rings" with the secondary inductor. One might ask where
the plate of this capacitor resides. It's every other conductive body
around the coil, including the primary winding. If your coils is sitting
in an empty field, the conductive soil near the coil becomes the other
plate, so connecting the base of the secondary to an earth ground makes
sense.

However, if you instead place a relatively large conductive plate (or
counterpoise) underneath the coil and connect it to the base of the
coil, you create a well-defined, low loss, lump of capacitance that the
secondary inductance can efficiently work with - a virtual ground. Now
ideally, the plate should be infinitely long in all directions, but it
can be shown (from antenna theory) that using a counterpoise with a
diameter that's only 2-3 times the total height of the secondary will
work almost as well. Practically , the counterpoise is usually connected
to earth ground as well since otherwise it can develop potentially
dangerous RF voltages that may cause a shock or an arcing hazard.

Many commercial multi-story buildings use a steel supports in the floors
and ceiling, and often use steel "2 x 4's" in the walls. Although this
metallic "cage" is not a complete Faraday shield, it does create an
excellent capacitor plate for your coil IF you can gain easy access to
it. The building's electrical mains are (eventually) connected to the
buildings steelwork and to earth ground, but not necessarily physically
close to where you're running your coil. And, you are MUCH better off
connecting your ground to a nearby steel beam than running an
independent connection to a remote earth ground.

By using a counterpoise, you directly "collect" a good portion of the TC
secondary's total displacement current. By also grounding the
counterpoise to the building's ground (ideally directly to a nearby
steel beam) you can efficiently gather the remaining displacement
current o the ceiling and walls. Connecting the counterpoise to mains
ground can superimpose significant RF current into the mains earth
ground IF it is not electrically connected to nearby steelwork.
Fortunately, this is usually not a problem when the wires are run within
grounded conduit and the conduit is electrically attached to the nearby
steel infrastructure.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured