Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:56:55 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

Hi Chris,

I admit I still have some study to do regarding your mechanical
approach. I've just been a wee bit busy with other off-list things
lately. When I'm referring that I don't understand the mechanics, I mean
mechanics in terms of how the arc will quench on the firing mode (as
hoped) and how this will affect the recharge time, etc. With high
voltage energy like this, the arc will start "and finish when it's
finished" and not necessarily when you wanted it to. Such are the
problems with this high voltage hobby. But, I'm hoping to learn
something new here!

You brought up an interesting question: What type of loss do we actually
see with the transformer periodically shorting? I'm unsure about that. I
have never thought much about it, but it could be a fair amount. So I'm
hoping for all the best with this experiment. Chris, it's this type of
experiment that the TCML is all about! Glad to see you working on it!
For better or worse, it's one of the most interesting I've seen in a
long time.

Take care,
Bart