RE: ARDTSG (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:44:18 -0600
From: S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: ARDTSG

Chris & hopefully others,

I have been using just such a setup for years, and it works very well.  No
trailing arcs, variable break rates down to almost zero & no need for
ballasting of the power supply.  I have reported it to the list before and
advocated its use.  You may be the only other one in the world to give it a
try.

In my setup, I have the primary in series with the MMC.  (In your drawing,
replace the primary with a wire, and put the primary in the center leg in
series with the cap.)  The thought was that the charging pulse would
contribute a bit of energy to the secondary in between the main discharge
bangs.  I don't know if it makes any discernable difference.

Be careful with your angle grinder.  Some have rather sloppy bearings,
causing the rotor to overcome gravity and lift up at higher RPMs.  This can
cause contact with the stationary electrodes - a disaster!  I had to add a
bearing mounted screw that would push down on the grinder shaft.

You may eventually grow to hate the horrible gear noise of an angle grinder.
I did, and went to a surplus treadmill motor that is very quiet and smooth,
and has no bearing play.

You can "machine" a very good disk by mounting a small grinding stone in a
drill press and putting your rough-sawed disk on an axis, then hand-rotate
the disk against the grinding wheel until it becomes perfectly round.  You
could probably do the same thing with a bench grinder if you kept the disk
perpendicular to the grindstone.

--Steve Y.