Re: Current Distribution Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:02:14 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Current Distribution Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

Hi Jared,

I disagree that Paul made fundamental mistakes. Les to be mythical is
funny to me. You mentioned that inductance only occurs in regions of
voltage. Well, yes of course. It is current which causes the magnetic
interaction for inductance and there is no current without a potential
difference. Of course if there are two regions of potential, there will
be two regions of inductance and there will be interaction between these
two regions both inductively and capacitively dictated by their
arrangement and proximity. The two regions will have total inductive
affect across the entire coil. This is no different than Les. Les is an
"equivalent" series inductance which lumps all of these "regions"
together to derive the inductive relationship of the entire coil at it's
resonant frequency.

All Les says is that at higher frequency, the distribution of current in
"regions" of the winding are not the same throughout the length of the
winding. This is nothing new to physics. Paul did not invent this (the
physics of the universe did). Because of the current distribution along
the length of the winding, regions along the length of the winding will
have various inductances when comparing one region to another. Lump them
up into a single value, and you have Les. That's all it is. It's not
magic or a myth, it is simply a lumped value to describe the situation.
It's simply a representation of the equivalent inductance of the coil at
a specific frequency. It's no different than looking at two regions of
current distribution in a half wave coil and lumping those inductances
into their collective value.

There's really nothing here to disagree with. You can use Ldc and Cdc
for the same frequency. Intellectually, we know that Ldc and Cdc are no
longer "true" at the resonant frequency. Les and Ces are values to
describe what is real at Fr. There are probably more pieces to that
puzzle to include, but it's a very good start!

When Paul disagreed with you (early on), it is "my" opinion that it was
not out of "foolish arrogance", but simply his understanding of physics
versus your understanding of physics. In all my discussions with Paul,
I've never known him to be arrogant. He would be the first to admit a
mistake and would do it openly for all to witness. Foolish arrogance is
just not in his nature. If you had any discussions with Paul other than
the disagreements (which we all set back and read), you would understand
Paul is not as you've described.

Take care,
Bart