Re: [TCML] Teslathons??? (Australian)

-----Original Message-----

<snip>

I agree.. it would only take the stroke of a pen to start regulating hv experimentation.  Something like requiring a license or certification to handle voltages over some threshold (600V).  The same as I cannot freely experiment with making explosives in my garage (under a variety of laws).

Or, laws that prohibit modification of manufactured equipment (like emissions controls on cars).

Such laws probably already exist (in the form of laws prohibiting "dangerous activities" in residential areas which are open to a lot of interpretation).  I believe that Peter was referring to the fact that there ARE such regulations in Australia (about what sorts of electrical equipment mere common people are allowed to have and modify)

Yes, enforcement might be challenging, but they tend to get you in a variety of insidious ways.. some of which are incidental: like the exclusion in your insurance policy (blow your garage up with illegal activities, and we don't pay out, not only that, but your policy will be cancelled, and you won't be able to get a new one). Or your health insurance (injuries due to participation in hazardous activities excluded) or life insurance (same).

So, while technically, one might not close it all down, it would certainly have a chilling effect, except for people with somewhat unique circumstances (i.e. no mortgage, independently wealthy and unemployed, etc.)

One just doesn't want to go there...

Jim