RE: [TCML] Phase

The suitability of your gap width really depends upon the voltage of your power supply transformer.  For my 15kV NST, my safety gap needed to be just shy of 0.5"!

As to how long a gap lasts, that would depend upon the power rating or your transformer.  Are we talking about a bug zapper or a pole pig?  It also matters what the primary current is, as governed by the primary inductance.  A low inductance primary will be much harder on a gap than a high inductance one with the same xfmr.  Tungsten rod diameter also plays a large role in longevity.  Saying only that your previous gap was made of brass tells us very little.  1 inch thick brass rods with forced air cooling, or brass upholstery tacks, or...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA