Re: Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Output Hazards, Skin Effect?

Elitism and arrogance dont help advance knowledge.

Tesla demonstrated passing HV HF through his body many times. At times the currents were sufficient to melt copper bar only a short distance from his hands. Having read the lecture notes written when he did this, the power levels here were over 10kVA. I take it Tesla wouldn't qualify as a 'real engineer' by this measure then?
You would enjoy reading "Biological Effects of External Ionising Radiation". I'll get the ISBN for you if required. There are many such books. The human body merely acts as a large capacity added to the terminal. As part of the circuit rather than a target for external influence, there is a far lesser case for concern.

When properly configured, there is no low frequency component whatever in the coil output. There is no physical sensation of anything - not pin-pricks, heat - nothing. No side effects have been noticed by myself running power levels to 5kVA input. I have done this countless times over the last 28 years.
I would personally be more concerned with 'point to (metal) plate' type discharges. These can be sufficiently energetic to knock X-Rays out of the plate in large amounts. Doses here are cumulative.
Having said all that, if it scares you - why would you do it?

When one is sufficiently familiar with their apparatus to be SURE of what the circuit is doing - and can be supremely confident in the shaping of the electrostatic stresses around the coil such that a secondary arc to the primary coil NEVER occurs, then - the decision rests with the individual.

:)

PeteR