Re: [TCML] RSG disks - who can make them ?

In a message dated 11/21/2007 9:36:40 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I know  most will think it is a waste of time, though I do not think anyone
has  really experimented with break rates/dwell times. I would however like
to  conduct my own testing and document the results for the  list...

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

One of the experimental methods I used in the past to explore the  effects
of various dwell times was to use offset electrodes.  This concept is  hard
to explain in writing.  The basic idea is that as the electrodes at  one side
of the rotor are coming into alignment, the electrodes at the other  side
are just separating.  The result is that the dwell is zero.  I  found
this actually was helpful with the particular gap system I was using.
Without the offset the coil drew about 16amps input.  With the offset  in
place, the coil drew 13amps.  To create this offset, the electrode at  one
side is moved by a distance of 2X the electrode dia., in a radial  direction.
Only the fixed (non-rotating) electrode is moved, not the spinning  ones
on the rotor.  The spinning rotor electrodes are kept at positions  180
degrees opposed as is normal.  But the fixed electrodes are no  longer
placed at exactly 180 degrees opposed.  In any case this method  is
good for creating a zero-mechanical dwell system without the need
for a large electrode disc.  The electrodes tend to wear quickly  however
because of the sparking at the electrode edges.  I simply ground  the
electrodes back to shape every so often and continued the research.
Quenching remained at the 3rd notch because the spark simply
stretched at the electrodes.  Secondary streamer lengths  remained
the same in these tests.

John