Re: [TCML] Spark gap Resistance

In a message dated 11/20/2007 11:10:15 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Over  all, *if* you could build such a system, I would expect you would need

>a general x4 power input to gain twice the spark length. Though this  is
only
>guess work. I remember someone quoting that for general Tesla  coil usage
>though for SG coils of normal design I expected x4 KW input  for double the
>spark output, also the reason why I was wondering if  larger coils are more
>efficient....
Chris,

In general 4 times the input power is needed to double the spark  length.
This is generally accepted and is not a new idea.  In fact it's based  on my
spark length formula.  But the formula is not exact because larger  coils
tend to be more efficient in their power transformers losses, and other
losses.
there may be differences in spark growth issues that are not fully  understood
also.

>I would expect if you progressed from 100amp primary  current to 1,000amp
>that you should gain some good increased spark  output. Though with so many
>factors it is hard to say. In theory x2  current input should be x2 voltage
>output.. or should that be x4 power  input for x2 spark output... in anycase
>other than building it there  is no real way to know for sure....
My work generally shows that 4 times more input power is needed for double
the
output spark length.

>FWIW, I am actually building a high Q system at the moment,  All solid
state.
>If Terrys SISG can output 20" spark on 120watts then  in theory I should at
>least equal that... The problem for me is that I  am using solid state stuff
>at low voltages and higher current, so it  is making the design next to
>impossible. I do not really need to say  about 1KA pulse over a few
fractions
>of a ohm....
Terry's OLTC uses low voltages and high currents but is reasonably  efficient.

>As a plan B: also set into motion (though very slow motion  I might add) I
am
>planning a high Q spark gap design also.. Its once  reason I am trying to
>work out all the factors in the design and  correct as much as possible. It
>is a leap of faith in the design, its  a side step from general accepted
>operation, though if it works or  not, I think it will at least give some
>very good  data.
Good luck with that project.

John