Re: [TCML] Spark gap Resistance

In a message dated 11/19/2007 6:54:37 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Chris,

If the current is less overall, then the gap losses are  lower.  Using a high
impedance
primary results in less overall current and less overall losses.  When  more
inductance
(more turns) are used in the primary, the inductance increases more than  the
resistance increases, thus the primary losses are reduced.  The Q is  higher.
The result is that
both the gap losses and the primary losses are reduced.  Of course  this only
works up to a point.  At some point the secondary wire will be  too
thin and will show high losses.

Generally low frequencies are believed to be more efficient in  producing
long sparks.
Maybe something in the range of 30kHz to 150hHz.  Also at higher  frequencies,
it's harder to achieve a first notch quench.  The sparks themselves  may grow
better at low frequencies.

Large coils are generally more efficient than small ones.

Tank caps generally are able to provide their current fast enough for
TC operations.

Generally high breakrate coils need more input power to produce a  given
spark length.  It's not known exactly what breakrate is best.  It  may vary
somewhat among coils.   Somewhere between 100bps to 200bps  usually
works well.

John

>   Sorry for the amount of "ponders" in  this mail.  It is just my 2cents
worth
>     that a higher frequency with less primary turns and a faster RSG would
>    overall reduce losses far more than anything  else.

Chris