To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] output voltage for Tesla transformer

In a message dated 11/17/2007 3:24:07 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
btmeehan@xxxxxxxxx writes:

So a  bigger topload (or one with less surface curvature) would get you
closer to maximum voltage? If you had a tiny coil with a huge topload ...
could  you (theoretically) get bigger sparks?

Tim,

Every coil will have a maximum allowable toroid size.  Beyond that  size,
the sparks will not be able to break out.   My TT-42 coil  normally uses
a 4" x 13" spun toroid and gives 42" sparks.  In one test, I  installed
a 6" x 24" spun toroid onto the coil.  With this larger toroid the  sparks
were only able to break out intermittently.  Sometimes they broke  out,
sometimes not.  The coil would even stop sparking while it was  running,
then start sparking again.  The sparks reached 44" or so.  If the  toroid
was even larger, the sparks would have never broken out.  Although
the breakout voltage was much higher with the larger toroid, the  spark
length increased only slightly.

John