Re: [TCML] Homebrew Xfmr

-----Original Message-----

This fits in the category of.. useful things to know how to do when you are stuck out past the back of beyond when you have a cracked frame on your car.  Where I used to work (a special effects shop) there was this theory that if you have two batteries in your 4WD, when worst came to worst, you could stick weld with the batteries in series and any handy metal as filler rod (e.g. coathanger).

Eventually, we got all the guys (no women wanted to participate) to attempt to do some stick welding with 2 batteries, jumper cables, and a coat hanger.

It works, after a fashion... Gotta have a real steady hand to control the arc current without an inductor in the circuit.  After watching them, I'd be more inclined to throw a small oxy/mapp or oxy/acetylene brazing rig in the truck than a separate battery.

But hey... I'll bet a good fraction of the folks on this list could have built that contraption (the one in the photos), if pressed.  When my neighbors and I have discussions about ideal professions when, variously, stranded by plane crashes, collapse of civilization, etc.,I always advocate for engineer.  Sure, the accountant can help you optimally allocate your scanty supplies, the lawyer can help resolve disputes, the English major can provide entertainment, but they're all going to be housed in something built by the engineer, and the engineer is the one who's most likely to figure out how to summon help.  (But then, being an engineer, I'm biased...<grin>)