Re: [TCML] Re: tesla coil help

Hi Ben,

In Javatc the inductance will be good, but the coupling may be off some due to the up and down helical situation. The closest we could get is to cramp all 14 turns into the 7 turn height area). BTW, make sure the primary isn't arcing across the turns. Your up and down method would put the highest stress on the two bottom turns near each other. It it arcs across, it will rob power.

I did remodel it and yes, .00042uF is the correct value. I showed about 2.4 Mhz on both the primary and secondary. I cramped 14 turns into the 1" height using #14 gauge wire in the primary. Looks like you are in tune. Something I've noticed on small coils is the existence of the RF ground wire or lack of. There is a major difference in tuning simply based on lead length inductance as well. Try it with and without the RF ground wire on the secondary (just to look for a change). Also, the total lead length I used was 15" (that is to and from the primary). If yours is longer it can make a big difference. For example, with your coil, just an extra 15" lead length results in a 50 KHz change. Small coils are why I inserted a lead length inductance into Javatc. For the larger normal coils, this is negligible, but for small coils it can't be ignored.

Not sure what the smallest TC is. My smallest is 1" secondary form. Wait, I take that back, I once wound a coil on a CD spindle (flat bottom with a 1/2" post which rose up from the center about 3 inches). I built it and a small little MMC array (totally non-standard caps). I tried to use a low voltage MOT and ended up frying the cap board). Lost interest and went on to something else. I've since lost it (probably ended up in the circular file).

Also, I also saw 34 in your message regarding coupling. I figured a typo and ignored it. I showed 0.12 in Javatc which is probably close but not exact in your case.

Building these small coils are far more challenging than the normal sized TC and I personally realized that after trying a few. I even had some difficulty with a 2" secondary. The bigger they get, the easy they are to get right. But of course, once one exceeds the practical size, then the mechanics and cost becomes very difficult and things like top loads are not so easy, nor are the forms, nor is the power, nor is the gap, etc.. etc.. To keep big coils at a reasonable cost, one must get creative.

Take care,
Bart

Ben Sneath wrote:
(I'm not sure I understand the primary configuration). But,
if it's 14 turns >at 2" height (boy a picture would help
here)

Bart,
the primary is wound upward 7 turns them back down 7 turns
over the outside of those first 7, the total height is 1
inch high, also does anyone know how small the worlds
smallest tesla coil is? as for the delicate tuning, well, it
i hard to get it into proper tune but it can be done
(although a pain at times).

Resonance,
You're mis-using JAVATC. 34 is not correct. Coeff. of
coupling can never >exceed 1.0

you must have misread that. my original message said 0.34,
not 34.
and i will be building a 3.5" coil as soon as i can get my
MOT supply up and running. btw: i do use JAVATC to desgn my coils, from the ground
up...