RE: [TCML] Tesla Coil Help

> 30 Watts is a pretty small amount of power - I'm not sure
> that too much more can be expected from it.

according to the spark length calculator max spark length
for 30w is 9 inches, i'd expect a bit more
than 3/4 inch...

>I'm sure that
> the PVC pipe is not absorbing any significant amount of
> power.  Overcoupling is usually evident with racing sparks
> along the secondary.  Undercoupling can certainly
> compromise performance.

No racing sparks but i do have a bit of corona leaping from
the top windings of the primary to the
secondary, also JAVATC said the coupling is something like
34

> How high is the primary voltage?  Gap losses increase with
> number of segments.  You may want to try a single parallel
> copper pipe gap.

the primary voltage is about 6 or 7 kv. the induction coil
is rated at 10 kv, but charging the tank cap
holds it down. i get better performance with the multi gap
then with the 2 wood screws i used
before.

> What kind of wire is the primary wound with?  As the
> operating frequency is relatively high, it's probably more
> important than ever to use solid (not stranded) wire and
> very short, direct connections.

because it is such a small coil i just used insulated 20 amp
auto wire (yes, stranded)
forgot to mention that its wound on a section of 2"
cardboard roll.