RE: [TCML] can you connect the secondary *directly* to the primary?

If you connect the base of the secondary to the inside primary primary, you have an Oudin coil.  Yes, it does work like an auto transformer.  Yes, it still has to be grounded to get any real performance out of it, otherwise it has to ground through your input transformer (not good).  Perhaps there is something else wrong with your circuit that it is not making sparks, what are your exact specs?

Scott Bogard.