Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 18:26:51 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

Hi Jay,

Sounds like a static gap that is heating up quickly. Keep the gap cool
when running to prevent this. Two things that really help is 1) a fan
(no big surprise) and 2) a pipe gap with about 1" tube diameter which
allows a large surface area for thermal dissipation (inner and outer
walls) and is thin enough to allow a fan to stabilize the temperature.

The voltage required to arc the gap decreases with temperature.
Therefore, the cap is charged to a lower value when the spark gap
conducts. So, with less energy in the cap at the time of conduction, a
weaker magnetic field is produced at the primary and results in a low
energy transfer to the secondary. So, sparks get shorter. All this can
happen pretty quick.

Take care,
Bart