Re: SCR & PRIMARY CONNECTIONS (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:22:51 -0000
From: Chris Swinson <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SCR & PRIMARY CONNECTIONS (fwd)

> I don't believe that it's even possible to use an SCR in a Tesla coil.
> SCR's are very slow devices.  And functionally, they're definitely not a
> drop-in replacement for an IGBT - they behave very differently.
>
> Regards, Gary Lau
> MA, USA

I am only running at 100bps so they will work fine. Tank transfer is less
than a cycle and free resonance is used so no primary tuning is even needed.
the IGBT works but the inbuilt diode is clamping half of the cycle. SCR will
switch on with a lot less loss. The break rate is only 100hz so almost
anything will work.

I have to redesign my layout to use the SCR as it is much bigger than the
IBGT brick so was wondering of the primary RF will effect the SCR if it is
on the same level and right next to the primary connections.

Chris