RE: twin coil transmission lines (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:06:13 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: twin coil transmission lines (fwd)

At 03:38 PM 5/30/2007, you wrote:
>Original poster: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>

No, but I was attempting to find if the loss in the transmission line
is a significant fraction of the overall impedance.. For example in a
classic LC tuned circuit, if the Q is 100, you lose 1% of the energy
in every cycle, and the X/R ratio is 100.

I think other losses in the system will dominate.. the 50-100 ft of
tubing in the primary, for instance, or, more likely the gap.

>In contrast, the AC resistance of various primary coils that I tested
>(http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary_resistance.htm) were 0.18 to 0.39
>Ohms for a 67uH primary at 100KHz.  So if the transmission line really
>did add 2 Ohms, I believe that would be significant.

My calculation of AC resistance must be way off, then.. Your
measurement of the 1/4" tubing coil (4" id, 10.5" od 13 turns should
be about 7.75*2*pi*13   52.7 ft...  16 meters..

I would assume that if you had 5 meters of transmission line 2.5 out
and 2.5 back, and it was 1/4" tubing, the Rac would be a third what
you measured (0.21/3 or 0.07 ohms).  I must have massively
miscalculated... it's probably something like 0.02 ohms instead of 2
ohms (since my tube is 3 times the size of yours)  Probably a
centimeter/meter thing.

Makes the transmission line and primary R losses even less of an issue....

I think gap losses are your big loss (and, of course, coupling to the
secondary and power dissipated in the sparks)...  A couple hundred
volts drop across the gap wouldn't surprise me, and the rms gap
current is probably in the tens of amps during the bang.