Experiments With a Tesla Transmitter and Receiver (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:19:33 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Henry Bradford <henry.bradford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
     Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Experiments With a Tesla Transmitter and Receiver

Henry,

I want to point out that you must join the Tesla Coil Mailing List for your
messages to be delivered to the list members.  To subscribe to the list,
send an e-mail to tesla-request@xxxxxxxxxx with the word "subscribe" as the
body of the message.  Your messages should be sent as Plain Text (not Rich
Text(HTML)) and note that images are not posted.

On May 24, 2007 you wrote:
>      I would like to make some comments regarding 1, 2, and 3 below,
> because I think that you could miss some interesting results of
> experiments with Tesla transmitters and receivers by misinterpreting them.
> Refer to my attached diagram which represents a Tesla transmitter and
> receiver stripped down to their bare essentials.  [see
> http://www.teslaradio.com/images/tx-rx.jpg ].  The same diagram also
> applies to a typical grounded low frequency radio transmitter and
> receiver.  In the Tesla transmitter and receiver the spheres represent the
> elevated conductors, and in a radio transmitter and receiver they would be
> horizontal wire arrays.  In both cases they provide capacitive top

There are actually three systems to be brought under consideration here,
each one being set distinctly apart from the others by the design of its
launching structure.  For the purposes of this investigation the three types
of wireless transmitter are defined as,

1) The radio wave or Hertz wave transmitter that uses a dipole antenna
radiator in free space to launch radio space waves; the dipole radiator is
vertically polarized and separated from the earth's surface by at least one
wavelength.  This is considered to be and constitutes the ideal radio
transmitter and forms the theoretical basis upon which all future
considerations are build.  The term "dipole antenna" refers to an electrical
dipole and not a physical dipole.  This definition is "a priori," like
saying that all triangles have three sides.  The analysis of radio wave
propagation from this transmitter takes into account the effects of the
electrical current induced in the ground due to the capacitive coupling of
the lower 1/4-wavelength element to the earth's surface.  This is the same
as the capacitive coupling between the radials and the earth's surface of a
1/4-wavelength or 5/8-wavelength ground-plane monopole antenna.  The ideal
radio transmitter has no ground connection.  The ideal radio transmitter
uses a dipole radio antenna to launch radio space waves.

2) The Marconi radio wave transmitter that uses a Marconi antenna as its
launching structure; this type of antenna has attributes in common with both
the dipole radio transmitter antenna and the ideal Tesla transmitter
launching structure in that it is intended for the launching of radio space
waves, as is the dipole antenna, while at the same time it is physically
connected to the earth.  Because of this hybrid configuration, Marconi-type
antennas launch both radio space waves and earth-current coupled surface
wave characteristic of the ideal Tesla transmitter.  The relative proportion
of these two components is determined by the degree of coupling between the
ground plane and the earth.

3) The Tesla transmitter that uses a well-grounded, top loaded slow-wave
helical resonator to launch the earth-current coupled form of surface wave
that is characteristic of the ideal Tesla transmitter; this is the Tesla
wave transmitter (for lack of a better description).

On April 16, 2007 you wrote:
>      Re. your comments to Gerry, Gary, I would not define a radio
> transmitter as one that uses a dipole antenna, they use all sorts of
> antennas.  At the low frequencies that would have been used by Tesla,
they would almost always use a vertical monopole plus a ground.  The ground
can be either an earth connection or a ground screen of some sort
(artificial ground).  A vertical monopole can be either a simple whip or
mast, or can have an array of wires at the top to provide non-radiating top
the antenna.

Do you agree that, for the purposes of mathematical modeling, the ideal
radio wave transmitter is defined as a radio transmitter that uses an
ungrounded dipole antenna?

Regards,
Gary

Gary Peterson