Fluorescent Tubes Not Recommended (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:20:57 -0600
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fluorescent Tubes Not Recommended

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: Flourescent tubes, no resistance?

Tesla Coil Builders List wrote:
> . . . I can`t wait to get my coil going!!!! . . .

On April 15, 2007 as part of an off-list discussion of Nikola Tesla's system
for the transmission of electrical energy without wires, Gerry Reynolds
noted that while creating a mathematical model which is representative of
the Tesla wireless system, "areas of uncertainty will arise during this
process and then we can agree on where the uncertainty is and propose
experiments to empirically answer those questions."  At this point in the
discussion some areas of uncertainty are,

     1) To what degree are grounded Tesla coil transmitters sources of radio
waves in the far field zone?

     2) If the vertical cylindrical conductor between the top turn of the
helical resonator up to the elevated terminal is shortened and at the same
time the resonator itself is lengthened, how are far-field radio wave
missions effected?

     3) Does Maxwell's theory accurately predict the degree of electrostatic
coupling when the spacing between the two elevated terminals of a Tesla coil
transmitter and a Tesla receiving transformer pair is more than a few
wavelengths?

     4) If it were possible to ionize a path from Earth's surface to the
upper troposphere, what power and wavelength UV laser would be required?

     5) How much power would be required to maintain ionization in the
troposphere between transmitter and receiver, assuming that this portion of
the path can somehow be ionized?

     6) Does Earth resonate at a frequency of not more that 12Hz that
corresponds with a theoretical terrestrial resonance frequency of 11.787 Hz?

Questions #1 and #2 can be answered by testing the emissions of various
Tesla coil transmitters following the guidelines set out in "FCC Methods of
Measurement of Radio Noise Emissions From Industrial, Scientific, and
Medical Equipment."

Question #3 can be answered by extensive signal strength measurements using
the experimental apparatus described in #3 below.

Addressing question #4 will require the experimental apparatus described
below and various UV radiation sources.

Here is Dr. Tesla's generalization in regards to question #5:

     "As to the influence of rarefaction upon the electric conductivity
imparted to the gases it is noteworthy that, whereas the atmospheric or
other gases begin ordinarily to manifest this quality at something like
seventy-five millimeters barometric pressure with the impulses of excessive
electromotive force to which I have referred, the conductivity, as already
pointed out, begins even at normal pressure and continuously increases with
the degree of tenuity of the gas, so that at, say, one hundred and thirty
millimeters pressure, when the gases are known to be still nearly perfect
insulators for ordinary electromotive forces, they behave toward
electromotive impulses of several millions of volts, like excellent
conductors, as though they were rarefied to a much higher degree." [SYSTEM
OF TRANSMISSION OF ELECTRICAL ENERGY, Sept. 2, 1897, U.S. Patent No.
645,576, Mar. 20, 1900.]

Dr. Tesla used an artificial atmospheric pressure of 135 mm Hg in a
sectional 50-foot long evacuated glass tube to collect data about the
properties of air plasma.  Note that the rarified gas inside of the 3"
diameter sectional glass tube was plain air.  No other substances such as
mercury were added as that would have altered the air's conductivity.

     "I took a tube 50 feet long, in which I established conditions such as
would exist in the atmosphere at a height of about 4 1/2 miles, a height
which could be reached in a commercial enterprise. . . . Then, on the basis
of the results I had already obtained, I established those conditions,
practically, in my laboratory.  I used that coil which is shown in my patent
application of September 2, 1897 (Patent No. 645,576 of March 20, 1900), the
primary as described, the receiving circuit, and lamps in the secondary
transforming circuit, exactly as illustrated there.  And when I turned on
the current, I showed that through a stratum of air at a pressure of 135
millimeters, when my four circuits were tuned, several incandescent lamps
were lighted."

An answer to question #6 will require considerable resources that might be
brought to bear if a large group of people come together with this common
vision.

To begin answering the above questions the collection of performance data
using the following experimental apparatus is required:

1) A system for one-wire transmission between a Tesla coil transmitter and a
Tesla coil receiving transformer with ground for return.

2) A system for electrical transmission between a Tesla coil transmitter and
a Tesla coil receiving transformer through a partially evacuated glass tube
with ground for return.

3) A system for wireless transmission between a Tesla coil transmitter and a
Tesla coil receiving transformer with ground for return.

The following is a general description of an experiment that can be
performed with apparatus #3.

First, place a tuned Tesla coil transmitter and Tesla coil receiver pair at
a distance exceeding a few wavelengths and put the system into operation to
demonstrate its functionality.

That radio waves are not involved in the transfer of energy (to answer
question #1) can be shown by testing the emissions of the Tesla coil
transmitter following the guidelines set out in "FCC Methods of Measurement
of Radio Noise Emissions From Industrial, Scientific, and Medical
Equipment."  If the Tesla coil transmitter is found not to be a radio wave
emitter then the connection between the Tesla coil transmitter and the Tesla
coil receiver must be by some means other than radio waves.

The radio wave emissions testing is to be done using a conventional radio
receiver that is tunable to the Tesla coil transmitter's operating
frequency, and which is sensitive only to radio waves.  The radio wave
receiver's antenna must be configured in such a way so that it interacts as
much as possible with radio waves and as little as possible with the
non-radiating emissions of the Tesla coil transmitter.  Some appropriate
antennas for this purpose are the vertical 1/2-wave dipole antenna suspended
high above the ground to minimize capacitive coupling to the earth, the
tuned air loop antenna, and the tuned ferrite loop-stick antenna.  A
conventional radio wave transmitter connected to a dipole antenna as
described above should be used to test the efficacy of the standard radio
wave receiver.

The basic assumptions behind this comparative study of a conventional radio
transmission-reception system and a "Tesla wave" transmission-reception
system are as follows:

1) The emissions associated with an operating Tesla coil transmitter are
predominantly non-radiating with reduced emissions in the form of radio
waves.

2) Radio receivers connected to conventional non-grounded or
non-counterpoise radio antennas are more sensitive, to a degree yet to be
determined, to radio waves than they are to the non-radiating
electromagnetic field energy associated with an operating Tesla coil
transmitter.  Non-grounded radio antennas can be constructed, the
performance of which approach that of the ideal radio antenna.

3) Grounded Tesla receiving transformers are more sensitive, to a degree yet
to be determined, to the non-radiating energy associated with an operating
Tesla coil transmitter than they are to radio waves.  Grounded Tesla coil
transmitters and Tesla coil receivers can be constructed, the performance of
which approach the ideal in both cases.  Radio transmitters with tuned
grounded or ground plane antennas are also capable of emitting the form of
electrical energy associated with an operating Tesla coil transmitter and
that radio receivers with this class of antenna are also capable of
collecting the predominant form of electrical energy associated with an
operating Tesla coil transmitter.

It follows from this, if the energy from an operating Tesla coil transmitter
is well collected by a Tesla receiving transformer, but is not well
collected by a radio receiver connected to non-grounded or non-counterpoise
radio antenna, while at the same time the radio receiver does well collect
energy from a radio-wave transmitter connected to non-grounded or
non-counterpoise radio antenna, all of these operating at the same
frequency, then the electrical energy from the Tesla coil transmitter that
is well collected by the Tesla receiving transformer is not predominantly in
the form of radio waves.  If this is found to be true, the cause-and-effect
relationship will shed some light on question #3.

Regards,
Gary

Gary Peterson
Phone: 970-453-9293