RE: Research Project (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:47:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gerardo Lezcano <lez_gera@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, shmerpleton_town@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Research Project (fwd)

Matthew:

  Please send me your writings.  I am doing some armchair analysis, and maybe building some coils and solid state drivers, very low power.  Let me take a look at your work, to see if my ideas make some sense:

  Basically, I think all coilers have been tuning their coils to 1/4 lambda resonance, without taking into consideration the receiver coil.

  We all know that a coil for 1/4 lambda resonance at frequencies of 50 kHz and lower, tend to be huge and expensive.

  But, imagine two coils, size according to our hobby, separated "some" km.  One is Tx, other is Rx.  On the Tx side, you could feed it with a frequency corresponding to its 1/4 lambda resonance, being the LC system: topload, coil, Earth.  With this arrangement, "maybe" you could tap some energy on Rx side.

  Now, with the same system, feed the Tx with a frequency much lower, one wich will put in resonance the other LC system: Rx topload, Rx coil, Earth (transmission line, no more a capacitor plate), Tx coil, Tx topload.  This (I think) is a very different device:

  * If you disconnect Rx coil from Earth, then on Tx side, current consumption will drop.  Interesting, an "unpowered" Rx coil could "modulate" current draw on "powered" Tx coil.
  * For any given Rx coil, it could resonate to several frequencies, just put your Tx coil at a proper distance and feed a proper frequency.  Here you have a 1/2 lambda system, where each topload, Rx and Tx, are the voltage antinodes, conforming a long dipole.  The voltage node will be no longer exactly at the base of Tx coil.  It will be lets say, at half the distance between Tx and Rx coils.
  * So, we are feeding a dipole from near one end.  This is a high impedance feed, talking radio amateur way.  This is a difficulty.
  * The longer the distance, the less copper you will have to spend on your coils, and it will promote a lower resonance frequency.  And low frequency is the key to use the Earth as a conductor, because skin effect will give us several meters of conductive "skin".
  * But the shorter lenght of copper in your coils, the more high impedance feed point you will be at.  A bigger topload could help.

  best,

  GL.

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> escribió:  Original poster: List moderator