Re: 240 bps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 23:24:14 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 240 bps (fwd)

Hi Scott,

Not a lot of difference, but of course the cap size compared to the
supply current charging it should be considered.

Smaller caps for a given supply charge faster than larger caps. This is
just physics. If you were on the ragged edge of barely charging a cap to
120 BPS and then doubled the rate of break to 240, you would have some
issues. With an SRSG, you would break at 240 bps but at a lower voltage
since SRSG's are timing devices and not voltage devices like static
gaps. You can decrease the cap size to increase the cap voltage. Now, if
your cap was originally small enough in comparison to the supply current
and had ample reserve charging capability, it may handle the 240 bps
without lowering the cap voltage. Javatc can help with all of that.

As far as a benefit? Well, not really. You may actually drop spark
length a little for the same power input. But, between 120 and 240 bps,
it's so close it's hard to really tell. When I use to run an SRSG, I ran
at 240 bps. I like the break rate better than 120. It just appeared to
have a more consistent length. But, with higher bps SRSG's, the timing
of the electrode fire is different than 120 bps. About 45 deg over TDC
is what I've found that works well. Interestingly, this is also the max
power (VI) in the cycle if you were to overlap a voltage and current
waveform and calc power incrementally along the cycle.

Take care,
Bart