RE: CHris - Quenching Theory Question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:01:59 -0600
From: S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE:  CHris - Quenching Theory Question

Chris,

Regarding your scheme below:  I have been using such a scheme successfully
for years, and it works great!  I recommend you use a charging reactor with
a deQing diode string to charge your primary cap.  This drastically reduces
the peak charging current and also gives the benefit of charging your
primary cap to roughly twice the DC supply voltage and eliminating charging
spark gap erosion (the spark is much, much smaller than that of the
discharge gap).  Once the charging gap fires, the voltage drop across it is
not enough to be concerned about.

My setup actually charges the primary cap in series with the primary.  The
thought was that the charging cycle might contribute a small amount of
energy coupled into the secondary to compliment the main discharge cycle.

The benefits are great:  No need for ballasting, break rate can go down to 1
bang every few seconds if you wish without the power arcing you would have
with a normal DC powered single gap ARSG setup, you have independent control
of break rate and power (assuming you have a variac for your DC supply.),
and the power supply is disconnected from the resonant primary circuit when
the gap discharges.  Another advantage is that the charging reactor can be
much smaller - mine is five handmade 23 mH aircore inductors in series to
withstand the voltage.

I am able to produce seven foot streamers using a 6-MOT supply drawing about
1.9 KVA from two regular house 20 amp outlets.

I have described my setup a few times previously on the list, but as far as
I can tell, noone else has tried it.  Please do let us know how yours
performs.

--Steve Y.