Re: Odd streamer photograph (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:19:43 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Odd streamer photograph (fwd)

Hi Matt,

Here's an image I raised gamma to 2.4 and adjusted the color-balance to
identify hot stops of the arc at. I cropped the left arcing side of the
picture to reduce the size of the image.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/1000194xf1-bba.jpg

Note that there is a hot spot which the small vertical streamer appears
to have resided from. Probably not a previous arc. Just a chosen
direction for the streamer itself. There's really a lot of neat things
going on in our streamers. This pic pretty much gives a good indication
of the overall situation. Note the hot spot at the toroid. Follow those
streamers to the second hot spot. You can see from the streamers
emanating from that 2nd hot spot that the 3rd hot spot was developed
from the 2nd hot spot. I expect that little vertical streamer was
influenced by the 2nd hot spots magnetic fields (just a theory).

Things like this occur with sparks. It's great that you noticed it and
captured the subtle difference on image.

Our coils are often termed disruptive coils with a chaotic output.
Although they are disruptive coils, the streamer propagation has a
definite physics which governs the path the streamer travels, and part
of those physics is the tip of the streamer itself. As seen in natural
God created lightning and even our coils, streamers can change direction
in an instance. But isn't it interesting that the change in path is
really not all that great. Sure it diverts from time to time, but the
general direction is "away" from the point of origin. I've never seen an
arc in natural lightning or in man made device travel outward and then
back near it's origin. If high power and highly mistuned coils, they do
sometimes come close by hitting about 1/3 down the coil itself, but
that's a different problem (I once had).

Take care,
Bart