Re: Teletype motor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:34:26 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [PHISH] RE: Teletype motor (fwd)

In a message dated 5/14/07 7:37:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>   How much phase change (shaft position WRT no  adjustment) did you get?
Variacs without >gaps in the core are more  nearly variable saturable reactors
than inductors I should  think.

    Using an unmodified Staco Type 291 (3A, .4 kVA), my  little Oriental
motor gets a full 45 mechanical degrees of adjustment. I  verified this with a
good digital stroboscope with no "drift". It takes the  entire adjustment range
of the variac to do so.
    It was very picky about the value of the additional  cap.
    I did discover, with the good stroboscope, that the  Oriental is in fact
a hysteresis type. When it restarts, it is in a different  shaft position.
However, using it as a standard 1800 rpm/120 bps/4 stationary  electrode Blake
prop gap, it always starts at the same phase angle, no matter  which electrode
it starts near.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities