Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:04:09 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

In a message dated 5/14/07 7:28:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>>  The sparkgap I built for it however was ridiculous.
>>  http://www.classictesla.com/photos/tgk/30.jpg
>> I used some tungsten  rod stock and tried to heat
>> sink with copper
>> tubing.  I've built some dumb gaps in my time, and
>> this one is certainly
>> one of them.
>
>I remember that exact picture of that  gap you built.
>I thought the large diameter tungsten were  quite
>impressive.  I wouldn't say it was dumb gap,  just
>might not have had the best heat sinking ability.

    Something to try:

    Run a bunch, say 10, triggered gaps in parallel.  Strobe the triggers to
each one in series for desired BPS, but each gap sees  only 10% duty cycle.
Should make some difference in performance?

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities