Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

Bart,

> The sparkgap I built for it however was ridiculous.
> http://www.classictesla.com/photos/tgk/30.jpg
> I used some tungsten rod stock and tried to heat
> sink with copper
> tubing. I've built some dumb gaps in my time, and
> this one is certainly
> one of them.

I remember that exact picture of that gap you built.
I thought the large diameter tungsten were quite
impressive.  I wouldn't say it was dumb gap, just
might not have had the best heat sinking ability.
Working with solid state has gotten me more in the
habit of thinking about heat sinking and understanding
thermal impedance.

By the way, what power levels were you running in that
photo?

I wonder if there is a "sweet spot" (low enough input
VA) where the MTSG (as described in the Rosenburg pdf)
can achieve a first notch quench...or at least one
sufficient to allow sparks close to what one would get
using a well designed SRSG?

I suppose for single 12/30 or 12/60 systems, the MTSG
would probably be a good idea for folks who might not
have the shop equipment to modify an armature for sync
use, or to properly balance and drill a rotor.

I have a friend who is considering construction of a
MTSG, as an upgrade to his static gap.  He is running
a single 12/60 NST.  I just thought I would ask around
and get an update, plus I was curious about why that
design just seemed to fall out of favor.  You and John
have provided a lot of things to think about.

Cheers,

-Brett

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.