Re: coax (grounding shield & AC?)

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

It was a two bushing with one bushing grounded. This was also way back in the late 60s when I ran the xfmr output to the cap and not the spark gap. Pri cap was .06 uF and I think this helped create the resonance that produced the wild effects I witnessed. There was no resistors in the circuit at this time and no safety gap either.

Dr. Resonance
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: coax (grounding shield & AC?)

Hi Dr R,

This sounds more than just a single transmission line reflection. I'm wondering if you had any series resistance between the coax and the main spark gap. If not, maybe a high frequency resonance was created by the coax length by having a virtual open at the PIG end and a virtual short at the spark gap end. Was this a one or two bushing PIG do you remember??

Gerry R

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

It's covered intensively in Dollanger & Sargents "Power Electronics". They even have a special section on "coaxial high potential generators" which use this principal to generate very high potentials. 2E, 3E, and 4E are possible. In my mishap, it was firing almost 14 inches across a 14.4 kV pole xmfr bushing to the grounded case. It had to be in excess of the 125 kV BIL rating of the insulator.

Dr. Resonance