Re: 1/4" copper tubing?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/31/07 1:52:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I am sitting here with some 1/2" PVC pipe and some 1/2" CPVC pipe,
>and they are nowhere near being the same OD.

    That's very interesting!
For reference, here's the McMaster pages for the PVC and CPVC pipe they sell. As you can see, they *should* be the same OD and thread sizes within the same nominal pipe sizes.

<http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=71>http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=71
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=72
<http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=73>http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=73
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=74
<http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=75>http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=75
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=76
<http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=77>http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=77

    And steel pipe for comparison:

<http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=46>http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=46

The Sch 40 and Sch 80 PVC pipe threads are identical to each other and "steel" NPT pipe threads.

>the CPVC will slide loosely inside Schedule 20 CPVC, and almost fits inside Sch 40.

    That doesn't parse... the CPVC slides inside itself?

> A 3/4" CPVC pipe is only microscopically larger OD than 1/2" PVC.

    All I can say is that's bizarre. :)
I'm going down to the hardware store this morning. I'll see if I can find some non-standard CPVC and figure out why plastic pipe manufacturers like to complicate things. For that matter, why are there so many different wire and sheet metal gauges?

-Phil LaBudde

See what's free at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>AOL.com.