Re: Sorry

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Alan,
If you have been subscribing to the list since 1994, What is taking you so long, why don't you build a coil and become one of "the elite" instead of "a wannabe"? I built my first in a few hours, and spent almost nothing (it worked like crap until I started making improvments, but to me, having no experience whatsoever, crap was awesome!). Start simple, an OBIT (from a heating and air conditioning place, don't use MOTs, as a mistake will most assuredly kill you, OBITs hurt (I know) but you'll live) some salt water glass jar caps, spare wire (for connections), simple "L" bracket and bolt spark gap, and a roll of magnet wire (I reccommend 26-20AWG, get about 1-2 pounds, for a 3 or 4 inch secondary on PVC), and some metal junk for a top load (my first top load was a wad of aluminum foil!), and a heap of patience!!! I seen cakes with more ingredients than that, it isn't beyond anybody with a sincere intrest.

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sorry
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:37:22 -0600

At 10:01 PM 3/26/2007, you wrote:
Original poster: ajones18@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>All,
>

>When the subject "Wireless Power Transfer" comes up, what "I" notice is this:
>A lot of persons that I haven't previously seen post anything on
>tesla coils, start posting in this format: I _think_ this, I _think_ that, and if _someone else_ would
>do this or that experiment, then I`m sure we
>would see blablabla.
>
>It suggests that this particular subject is the domain of wishfull thinkers who could only dream
>of ever building a tesla coil.
>
>I can tolerate this subject only, if the poster would be required to be in the possession of a
>Tesla Coil, and to be reporting about an experiment
>designed to investigate a theory.
>
>No experiment to report, no access to post!
>
>That ought to keep im-poster's under control :-)

I am so sorry to offend you. My message wasn't intended for the list, it
was a private email to the moderator which somehow got posted to everyone.
I realize that since I have no coiling experience and wouldn't know an MMC
if it bit me on the ass, that I have no right to post to the list anyway
and offend your sensibilities. Since I know nothing about coiling and have
never built a coil in my life, I will refrain from posting to the list
again. Now you can rest easy knowing that at least one of the coiling
wannabes on the list won't ever post again.

How long have I been on the list anyway, Chip? Since around 1994 when
there were only 50 or so members? Wow, been a long time. Guess I haven't
made enough posts over the years so everyone would know me.

Alan Jones
--

Alan, I don't think Finn was attacking you personally.. I think it's more a sentiment of desired list direction, towards practicality and away from pie in the sky. And, that general philosophy has served the list well, with occasional departures into cloud-cuckoo-land for a burst of e-mails, and then it settles down after some of the ideas get rehashed.

I don't think that actual possession of a coil and actual test data is essential, but, I sort of agree that posts on contentious topics (and wireless power transmission is one) should bring something "new" to the table. Whether it's new analysis (based on commonly accepted physics, if you please! no "new revelations from Tesla's spirit in a seance") or a new (reasonable) interpretation of what Tesla wrote, or whatever.

Jim

Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get intro-rate 4.625%* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5f&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=743