Re: terry filter theory

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The tank circuit is, of course, in oscillation, especially swapping energy with the pri into sec.

Most of this signal goes forward into the pri inductor.

Some of this signal may travel back towards the xmfr which is why we use the filter in the first place. Depending on the exact energy transfer moment in time, some of the forward signal may encounter some of the signal reflecting back into the pri from the sec winding. These "reflected oscillations" may not all be absorbed into the capacitor --- and continue traveling towards the xmfr. They can react as constructive/destructive interference and form "beat frequencies" which can increase the amplitute of the pri resonant potential --- usually not more than 25%. The Terry filter helps to swamp out any such transients which may be of a HF nature.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Jim:

There are three functional circuits within the Terry filter, each
operating separately.

1) The 3-terminal spark (safety) gap at the output end clamps the
voltage from either output terminal to ground to a voltage value
determined by the gap width.  So it's vital that the width be properly
set.

2) The resistor and capacitor form a low-pass R-C filter to attenuate
VHF transient "zero-crossing" bursts generated by the main spark gap.
See my web page on this topic for more info:
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/protection.htm.   The R-C filter does
nothing to clamp mains-resonance overvoltage caused by too-wide main
gaps or ferro-resonance.  Only the safety gap and MOV's address this.
It cannot be said that the resistor does this and the capacitor does
that; neither one by itself would be useful.  They work as a pair to
pass low frequencies and attenuate high (much higher than the tank)
frequencies.

3) The MOV's are a last-ditch effort to stop excessive voltages from
reaching the NST.  In theory the MOV's are redundant, performing the
same voltage-clamping function as the safety gap.  But since the gap
width must be properly set, and often times people open them up too far,
the MOV's have a fixed threshold voltage that cannot be inadvertently
mis-adjusted and rendered ineffective.  The only trouble is that if you
do open the safety gap too wide and if you do operate your coil with a
too-wide main gap (resulting in overvoltage operation), the MOV's will
clamp and get hot. If operated for more than perhaps a minute (depending
on the size of your NST and the severity of the overvoltage condition),
they will smoke and fail.  But they WILL have protected the NST.

Since the resistors do get hot in normal operation, this means that
power is being wasted there.  But it's generally considered a worthwhile
tradeoff.

I can't comment on "adding more components".  Kinda like asking if more
stuff under the hood of your car will make it go faster...

A spark at the safety gap affects only the safety gap component's
operation, meaning that it's doing its job.  The other components still
operate independently.

Dr. Resonance - what are "reflected oscillatory currents from the tank
circuit"?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA