Re: do it yourself caps --- an ozone health risk!

Gary,

snip >>

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

> Could it be that bottle
> caps are typically found on smaller coils, and that smaller coils,
> perhaps because they are often operated in more confined spaces, seem to
> "smell more"?  I don't know; I think why some coils smell more than
> others is an unresolved issue.

> Regards, Gary Lau
> MA, USA

You bring up a good point here. From my  personal experience,
it seems that the smaller NST powered coils are the bigger cul-
prits when it comes to copius ozone production, at least from
what I could "smell". It seems that the more "purple" and corona
that the sparks exhibit, the "smellier" they are. The high powered,
bright, ground striking power arcs generated by high powered
coils don't seem to produce much in the way of ozone smell. I
think this may have been discussed a few years ago on this list
and IIRC, someone suggested that the higher powered arcs
greater heat combines more of the oxygen molecules with nitro-
gen to produce nitric oxides than just fusing an extra oxygen atom
to an O2 molecule to make O3 (ozone).? I don't think that the
NO compounds are as "smelly" as O3, but of course I'm sure that
they're still not good to breathe either! BTW, I've never used the
"bottle caps", just commercial caps, but still got PLENTY of O3
production (smell) with the smaller coils that I have ran.

David Rieben