Subject : Re: A few problems..
Date : Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:17:14 -0700

Original poster: "M G"

The max output I get right now is fine for me, but it would be nice
to get around 20" streamers. For a first coil it turned out good
enough. Just a few more things I need to do and it will be complete.
My top priority right now is to finish building a portable base that
holds all the components. If you look at the pictures of the complete
setup you can see the capacitor/TeslaMap board and terry filter board
are just sitting slightly above the ground.

The primary might be close to tuned, but due to the amount of
imperfections on my primary coil I was told finding the exact (1/4?)
resonant tap point would be difficult because a programmed
calculation, for instance using TeslaMap, would be off. For now I
have been using compaired5. It calculates the tap point to be right
before the start of turn nine. So its possible I am tapped slightly
over resonant right now, but where I am tapped seems to work best.

I checked where the secondary bottom winding sits NST to the
primary and it seems to be no more than 2" below the top primary
turn. I really cannot move the secondary up any more without finding
a new bolt that is longer, and remaking the bottom end cap. The bolt
on the end cap goes through a hole on the primary support and on its
end is placed the ground connection and a nut which holds the
secondary in place. It only has less than half an inch left that
could be moved up and the nut screwed on.

Matt G.

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson"

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing the basic specs at the bottom of your post. Don't
be depressed if you don't reach the 28" spark length. Feel real good
if you get close 20" to 22"! Your coil is large enough to run a 12/60
sparklength if you feel up to it. The specs indicate your coupling is too
high (which explains your periodic racing sparks). Adjust your
secondary so the bottom turn is 1.5" below the center line of the
primary's top turn (due to your particular . This should result in a
coupling of 0.12. I would probably do that before winding a new primary.

Your max NST expected is 24" with your particular calc's (not
28"). Yes, only 4", but sparklength I use don't show 28", even on a good
day. Once you adjust the secondary, you will likely only notice that
racing sparks are not occurring and no change to spark length. This
is normal. Now, work on you spark gap. Rebuild it if necessary. This
is the obvious component for losses and is where the best increase in
kv is to be realized. Much "power" is lost in the gap.
Minimize the power lost at the gap and you will increase the power
available for output sparks. This is not always easy, but it is
definitely a very important arena to do battle in (up to 50% losses
in the gap on average). Any increase there in efficiency goes a long
way with spark lengths. Anyone who has coiled long enough realizes
the importance of a "good" spark gap. It can make or break a coil.

Take care,
Bart

Original poster: Ed Phillips

Are you sure the primary is tuned correctly? Doesn't look like
enough turns to me but I haven't tried to run the calculations.

Ed

Create and Share your own Video Clip Playlist in minutes at Lycos MIX (<http://mix.lycos.com/?if_Event=MAILmixtagline>http://mix.lycos.com)