Re: qualifications

 Hi Jim,

I've used basic Al tape from hardware stores. It will work fine for smoothing out flex tubing. The adhesive has no ability to withstand the voltages (about 3 to 5 kV) we see at the toroid. So don't worry about the adhesive conductivity. I've never had a problem and I have built some decent toroids out of flex tube and Al Tape. Just pick up the normal (about 2.5" wide) aluminum tape and cut strips that will cover the tube diameter (for example, if 6" tube diameter, cut 20" strips). Smooth it out with a big Craftsman socket or something hard and cylinder shaped will work to smooth out the tape. No hard science here, just elbow grease.

For reference, I usually wind a band around the entire diameter (horizontally) and another strip horizontally just above that strip. After that, I then cut strips to adhere vertically along the toroid. After all strips are in place (a little overlap of each), I simply smooth with a hard cylinder. I then install a center disk (back then, usually just a wood disk covered in the same tape). You will end up with a decent toroid. It's not spun aluminum grade, but will still work just fine.

If you want to really make it smooth, then use a plaster to fill all the knooks and cranny's, sand smooth, and finally cover in Aluminum Foil and contact cement (not Al Tape). The smoothing technique is no different. This makes for a very smooth toroid and hard to do better even with professional spun toroids. From that point, a spun toroid offers a cosmetic upgrade. But as far as sparks, no difference due to the smoothness.

Take care,
Bart

Can someone /recommend/ a good conductive tape for my toroid. (I have