RE: qualifications

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Jim:

Actual gray duct tape is non-conductive, but the adhesive-backed
aluminum tape used for HVAC applications is an excellent conductor, and
is the product of choice for covering a toroid.  Any Lowes or Home Depot
will carry it, typically in 2" width.

The adhesive backing in fact is NOT conductive.  I have heard of some
VERY expensive copper foil tapes with a conductive adhesive, but the AL
tape is what everyone uses.  The implications of this are unclear.  I
have observed that when covering an insulated toroid, say one covered by
paper mache, that I'd see small sparks between adjacent strips despite a
considerable overlap.  To remedy that I used a conductive and
compressible EMI gasket between the center disk and the ID of the
toroid, to short the individual strips together.  I don't know that this
improved the performance my any measurable amount, but it eliminated the
small inter-strip sparks, and seemed like a good idea.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA